In this article, we will throw light on the Champa plant which has attractive leaves and flowers.
It will not be difficult to grow this plant and it does not need much maintenance too.
Let us find out some essential info regarding the Champa plant in the following paragraphs.
Table of Contents
The different types of Champa plant
This plant is mainly grown in the Caribbean, Central America, and South America;
nevertheless, we also find it in large numbers in Indonesia, India, as well as Thailand.
Belonging to the family Apocynaceae, this plant has the scientific name Plumeriarubra.
Being a shrub or a small tree, the maximum height of the Champa plant is about 8 meters.
The plant can boast of having spirally arranged dark green leaves as well as succulent branches.
The Champa plant is of various types each having its own particular characteristics.
Here, we have mentioned the most popular types of Champa plants that you will come across:
• PlumeriaRubra – This variety of the Champa plant is the most common and it has pink or red flowers with a yellow center.
• Plumeriaobtusa – As compared to other varieties, this type of Champa plant comes with cream-colored flowers which are smaller in size.
However, their fragrance is more intense.
• Plumeriaalba – This type of Champa plant has white flowers whose center is yellow and we often use this plant for making garlands and wedding decorations.
• Plumeriapudica – The flowers of this particular variety of Champa plant are white in color having a yellow center.
We also call this type the Bridal Bouquet.
Maintenance of the Champa plant
• Watering requirements – It’ll be a good idea to add a minimum of 1 inch of water every week to the Champa plant.
However, watering will not be required in case the plant is kept outside since it will get water from the rainfall.
However, the plant might be deprived of water if it is kept indoors. In this case, make sure to saturate the soil’s top once every week.
Following this, the water should be allowed to drain out the pot’s bottom.
• Space requirements – You also need to consider the location while trying to grow the Champa plant.
It must be planted at a distance of at least 10 feet from the other plants or trees so that there is sufficient space for the roots to expand.
• Sunlight requirements – It will be advisable to place the Champa plant in such a location where 6 to 7 hours of direct sunlight will be available to it on a daily basis.
It will not be possible for flower buds to form on the plant in case it is not able to get adequate sunshine.
If outside, then make sure to place the plant in direct sunlight.
• Temperature requirements – Make it a point to bring the Champa plant indoors if the temperature falls below 50 °F. This is because the plant finds it difficult to survive in cold temperatures.
Although it is possible for the plant to survive in a room-temperature environment, extremely cold temperatures might kill this plant in the long run.
• Diseases and pests – It is a fact that the fragrance of this plant can attract flies, aphids, mites, as well as other insects.
It’ll be a sensible idea to apply an insecticide or horticultural oil to the leaves of the Champa plant.
Go through the instructions mentioned in the label to get the best outcomes.
Champa plant benefits
1. Good for anti-aging
If we are suffering from age spots and wrinkles, this plant will be the right solution.
The Champa plant can be used to reduce our aging symptoms.
To a considerable extent
2. Antioxidant properties
The powerful antioxidant properties of the champa plant will help to safeguard our systems from oxidative damage which can be brought on by free radicals.
This will aid in reducing inflammation and safeguarding us from cardiac disease, cancer, and other types of chronic ailments.
3. Reduces anxiety and stress
The plant can help to make our minds calm and thus get rid of anxiety and stress.
Moreover, our moods can be elevated by the fragrance of this plant to a great extent.
4. Improves digestion
The components present in the Champa plant can play an essential role in improving digestion by encouraging the creation of digestive enzymes.
In case you are suffering from indigestion and bloating, this plant can be useful too.
TheChampa plant provides us with lots of health benefits that we have already mentioned in this post.
Moreover, it is comparatively simple to maintain this plant and you can also grow it indoors provided there is sufficient light.
We can likewise use it for different purposes.